Mango Allergy

Mango Allergy


Mango allergyproblems are caused by a reaction to Urushiol. This substance is found in the sap of mangoes. It causes a severerash, just the same as poison ivy.

This is because poison ivy also contains urushiol.

Mango allergies are often noticed soon after eating a mango. Typical mango allergy symptomsare blisters around the mouth and severe itching. This usually takes several hours to develop, so you many not realize that your symptoms are caused by a mango allergy.

Some time ago, I wrote an article about poison ivy on this website. It now has many comments about mango allergies, because the article mentions that urushiol is also found in mangoes.

Find out more about mango allergy and join in on the comments (or you can add comments to this article if you prefer).

Mango Allergy Management

If you have a mild mango allergy, you may be able to avoid symptoms by washing the mango with soap and water before handling them.

Do not eat the skin.

Do not scrape the flesh off of the skin.

Avoid the mango pulp near the skin.

If you continue to get mango allergy symptoms, you will have to avoid them completely. Hopefully the above tips will help you continue to enjoy mangoes without allergy symptoms.

HINT: Peel the skin with one knife, and cut the fruit with another to avoid contamination of the fruit.